Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cooking with Brigitte: Chicken Sopas...

Is it cold in your part of the world?  Here in Dubai, it is.  I think the temperature started dropping since November and though there's still a lot of sun, it gets really chilly even at midday and it gets more windy at night. Even with the doors going to the balcony kept closed, I can still feel the cold weather.  I do love the cold season, but my back doesn't…darn scoliosis!


This season calls for a lot of cuddling and snuggling with your special someone.  But what if you have none?  Now, don't fret.  All you need is a good, hearty soup to keep you warm.  Your best bet?  The good 'ole chicken sopas!  

Cooking it is easy, but the preparation can be quite taxing because of the boiling and all the slicing.  But it's all gonna be worth it in the end.  

Here's what you need:


Butter
1 medium sized onion
2 Boneless Chicken Breast, boiled then shredded 
5 cups Chicken broth from the boiled chicken breasts 
2 Carrots, cut into strips
1/2 small cabbage, chopped



2 Celery stalks , sliced
Green Onions, chopped for garnishing
2 cups Elbow macaroni
Salt, Pepper and Fish Sauce to taste


Now let's start cooking:

1. Heat pan then put in butter.  Once butter has totally melted, add the onions and sauté.




2. Once the onion becomes almost translucent, stir in the shredded chicken breasts. Season with a bit of pepper and salt.





3.  Add the chicken broth and let boil.




4. Add the elbow macaroni and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta becomes almost al dente. Make sure to stir once in a while while cooking.






5. Put in the carrots and celery and simmer for 3 minutes. At this point, you can also adjust the taste by adding fish sauce, salt or chicken cubes.




6. Add the cabbage and cook for another 2 minutes.  Make sure not to overcook the vegetables.  





7. Add the green onions then turn off the heat. You can just also add the green onions before serving.



And you're done!




You can also serve it with a little evaporated milk for a richer flavor. 
I love it with milk!


With this, you can already skip rice. I remember my Mama Wheng pairing this with fried galunggong (my ultimate favourite) and with that, I won't be able to say No to rice. Hay, now I miss galunggong.  Do you know that I can eat that fish everyday, all my life?  Well, maybe I'm exaggerating…but yeah, I really love it.  Make me choose between that and salmon and I'll choose galunggong any day!
^_^


I hope you like this!  If you have easy recipes, please do share! I would love to try it! 


Please like me on Facebook ( IambrigittePage ) and follow me on Twitter (_IAmBrigitte_) and Instagram (Iambrigitte)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...