Sunday, April 26, 2009

Product Review: Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder HALO is the first anti-aging powder with the science of skin care built in. It's advanced formulation of pure gold, 48 minerals, 11 amino acids and a powerful peptide deliver powerful anti-aging benefits while the patented hydration system continuously revitalizes skin and provides a hydrated look that won't accentuate lines and wrinkles. The built-in shaver allows for the convenience of a pressed powder combined with the radiant finish of a loose one, and the super-sized brush deposits the perfect amount of powder every time.

What else you need to know:
The powder is made for all skin types and is free of oil, talc, and parabens. Includes a custom Travel Kabuki Brush for flawless application plus a sample of our award-winning Photo Finish Foundation Primer.


Clinical studies show:
After 10 minutes there is a 33% decrease in the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes.- After 6 weeks of use, there is a 67% decrease in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles overall.

* Smashbox.com


comes with a small Kabuki brush

sleek packaging

turn dial to the left to "scrape" the right amount of product to use

swatch

swatch of "FAIR" blended in

swatches of "Light" and "Fair"

the Kabuki brush

a whole lot of product at 21g

Swirl brush

Tap, and be ready to Buff!

I got this in two shades: Light and Fair. I find the first one to get a bit darker, so i had to go back and get the lightest shade, which is fair. I sometimes mix the two, most especially when my face is getting a bit more red from my Obagi regimen. But most of the time, i just use "Fair" alone.

This is a good highlighter, IMHO. Oily people must stay away from this one, for it tends to make you more oily. It gives you this lovely glow, but if it gets mixed with your oils, it would look messy. This is good for people with dry skin...it gives moisture and makes wrinkles appear less visible. I am oily myself, but i use this when i am going out at night. It gives that shimmery, glowy look which looks nice at night..but not at daytime. I use this as a highlighter, but i use it sparingly.

You should also make sure that you use a primer when using this. You definitely something to keep your oilies at bay, or you'd look like an oil mine in hours. But like what i've said, this is really good on dry skinned people. I used it on my mom, and it looked great on her. It gives that flawless look, with a healthy glow.

what i love about it:
  • sleek packaging. great for travel, for it avoids spillage unlike other mineral powder foundations. just turn the dial to scrape off the right amount of product you need, and presto!
  • great for highlighting. also great as a foundation but oily skinned people must beware
  • provides sheer to medium coverage
  • makes wrinkless less visible
  • provides moisture to dry-skinned people
what i hate about it:
  • expensive. Priced at $59 (got this for Php2850)...but for the amount of product you get which is 21g, i think it's just okay
  • the kabuki brush that comes with it. it's horrible! really scratches my skin and i don't think it does a great job on blending the powder into the skin. i use my MAC 182 instead
  • too bulky for my makeup kit. hmmm, probably i would need to get a bigger one? lol
  • makes me oily after just a few hours. i have to make sure that i primed my face and i have lots of blotting papers on hand. i don't think this should be used at day time, though. it gives you that shimmery look that is great at night time, but definitely not during the day
  • limited shades available. I think they only have four: dark, medium, light and fair. I got Light first but gets dark on me...so i had to get Fair.

will i purchase again?

  • No. I already have two 21g of this...and i hardly use it.

I can't say that i am INLOVE with this product. But i can't say that I HATE it. Probably just so-so..not something i can't live without. Mom loves it though. And i must say, it suits her. But she hates the idea of buffing with a brush...it enlarges her pores according to her. LOL

Do you have this? If you do, do you love it or hate it? For those who are thinking of getting this, make sure you test it first. I've read some reviews that some people broke out because of this. I never had that experience though, but it surely won't hurt to make sure first.


5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wow, that's so expensive! But it sounds so promising. But already I've learned not to take advertisements too seriously.

I hate though that oily-skinned gals cant use this too much. :( Sucks like whoa! I uber hate being oily!

Edna said...

I remember when this product came out. Its way expensive for a finishing product. Thanks for the review, cuz this is the first review I've seen :)

Crystal said...

thank you for doing this review. now i know that this is not for me since i'm really oily, plus it's expensive.

Anonymous said...

omg, this is #1 on my lemming list, since i have dry skin and i love the feel of it. roaaaar, i always play with it at the beauty bar counter. :( i think light would just be perfect pa, pero budget problems. :(

*KiM* said...

Thanks for the review jheng. I was actually planning to buy it before but it's too pricey. Now I won't dream of it anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...