Thursday, March 19, 2009

Product Review: MAC Penultimate Liner in Rapid Black


"A liquid pen-style liner that provides the ultimate precise, bold line in a rich, deep carbon black shade. Goes on fluidly, in one steady stroke, to style any fashion of eye line."
*maccosmetics.com

I've been using liquid eyeliners for years when i finally got my hands on my first gel liner from MAC (Fluidline in Blacktrack) and from then on, i never looked back.

Until i got my hands on this raved Penultimate liner from MAC.

I hate being dead curious about something, so i decided to get one. Besides, having an eyeliner in my kit would be a good idea minus an eyeliner brush.
before my review, here's some pics in comparison with CS Gel Liner:

swatches: CS gel liner (top) and Penultimate (bottom)
the swatches after wiping them with my hands once

the swatches when wiped with wet wipes

right eye with MAC Penultimate

left eye with CS gel liner

both eyes
(excuse me, i know i look weird without my eyebrows...hahaha)
i'm guessing you already know by this time what i like/not like with this liner...wink! anyways, on to my review:

what i like:
  • the tip provides ease of control and you can line your eyes as close as possible to your upper lashlines
  • easy to bring along, no need for a separate eyeliner brush!
what i hate:
  • smudges...i would have to really wait for some minutes to totally dry it
  • doesn't give me that "black" that i look for a black eyeliner. i would need a couple of more strokes to come up with a dramatic black
  • gives a really thin line, so i would need a lot more strokes for a really dramatic line
  • takes me a long time to finish lining up my eyes. (or probably, i just got so used to my gel liners)
  • expensive! at Php1100, i can get the same effect from cheaper brands

will i re-purchase?

NO. i'd stick with my gel liners :)

i can't say i am disappointed, but this isn't something that i can't live without. I'd say this is great for those who are just starting up to use eyeliners because it really provides ease of control. you can start with a really thin line and work it up to come up with a thicker line.

but like i said, you can get the same effect from other cheaper brands...but if you have the moolah, you can always opt for this.

tata!

3 comments:

Care GUMIN said...

thank you again for your MAC review! :) I was so curious about this eyeliner pen when I saw it last week in MAC, good thing I didnt buy it. I've read this dries up fast.

AskMeWhats said...

thanks for the review sis! yay for gel liners :D

izumi said...

i definitely like the felt tip sort of brush, too bad it smudges! thanks for the review ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...