Sunday, September 2, 2012

Product Review: Revlon Colorstay 16Hr Eyeshadow...

I love experimenting with different shades of eye shadows. Most of the time, I use different shades from different brands to come up with a makeup look.  But there are also times when I just don't have the time to check my eye shadows one by one and determine what shade goes well with what shade.   At times like that, I reach out for customized palettes like these Revlon quads where I no longer have to worry about mixing and matching shades.



Revlon Colorstay 16Hr Eyeshadow

Silky smooth, blendable powder shadow that won’t crease fade or smudge.Wears up to 16 hours. Color coordinated quads provide expert mix and match ability for your most gorgeous eyes ever. Available in 16 beautiful quads. Ophthalmologist tested. Non-irritating.




In a palette, there will be shades that can be considered the base shades or the "wearable" shades.  And usually, those are the ones that would run out quicker.  So for these quads, Revlon made them in such a way that the base colors are in bigger pans than those that are used for definition.

But honestly, if I have my way, I'd rather have shade #1 in a smaller pan instead of shade #2 or shade #4.
^_^



First two shades are quite sheer so I had to layer my swatches 2-3x.  Shades 3 and 4 are fairly pigmented though. 



What's also good in this palette is that it has an illustration at the back, so you'll know what color goes to what part of your eye.  Great for those who are just starting out in putting on eye shadows. 


Here's how I apply the colors using the picture at the back of the palette as my guide:


 Apply shade #2 on the lid using a flat eyeshadow brush (MAC239).  Apply color in patting motion to build color as this shade comes out sheer.






 Using a medium blending brush (MAC217), I apply shade #3 on the outer-thirds of my eye.  I apply it from the outer-V going in.




 Using a small blending brush (CHARM), apply shade #4 on the crease

Using a smaller blending brush than the one used to apply shade #3 (MAC222), blend shade #4 towards above the crease


Pat shade #1 on the browbone and on the inner corners to highlight.


and the finish look:




You can also use shade #3 on the entire lid, shade #4 for definition and shade#1 to highlight.



What I like:
The palettes have a great combination of colors, so you can come up with different looks.
Pigmentation is great for some of the shades.  Some I still need to layer on for the color to really pop.  Of course, a good eyeshadow primer would also help.
The idea of having the base colors in a bigger pan, since these are the ones we tend to use a bit more is just smart.
Easy to blend
No allergic reactions
Comes with sponge applicator which can be used to apply color, but I don't really use  them to blend. 
Stays put, provided you use a primer underneath
Great for those who are newbies in applying eye shadows as you no longer have to worry about mixing and matching colors, and it has a guide too!
Compact packaging
Fairly priced at Php550 for a quad with a total of 4.8g of product


What I dislike:
The palette doesn't come with a mirror
Some of the shades are too sheer, some even chalky (based on some reviews)
Make sure to apply the color in a patting motion first to avoid fallouts
Creases after a few hours if used without a primer 
Formulation is not consistent. I was able to swatch other palettes and some are finely-milled and some aren't.  So it's really a must to check them out first before buying.


So am I going to re-purchase?
No, just because I still have a lot of eye shadows I need to finish first.


 To see swatches of my other quads, click here
Please like me on Facebook ( IambrigittePage ) and follow me on Twitter (Iamsutil) and Instagram (Iambrigitte)

2 comments:

Mica said...

I have trouble selecting eye shadow shades too, the very reason why I don't include it in my everyday makeup. :(

Thanks for sharing!

Btw, I have an ongoing giveaway! Please check it out: http://smizingmica.blogspot.com/2012/08/hello-lovelies-this-is-officially.html

Aya said...

I'm not so into greens but I have one that I use a lot--it's from a Maybelline quad that has an earthy theme. I agree with what you said regarding the customized palettes. Mahina pa naman ako sa color-matching. Hahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...