Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Product Review: Wet n Wild Eye Makeup Remover + Lesson Learned


I love wearing anything waterproof.  From foundation to eyeliner to mascara.  So if there's one thing in my makeup bin that I shouldn't run out of, it would be an eye makeup remover.

Last week, I was so happy to stumble upon this:

Wet n Wild Eye Makeup Remover

Whisk away the most stubborn mascaras, shadows,liners and shimmers.
Hypoallergenic, Opthalmologist-tested
Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers


It's priced at Php180, but got it for only Php150 after the 20% off.  Pretty much a good buy for an almost 90ml of product.

I sniffed, and it does smell like a bit of alcohol.  But I still decided to get it.

Let's see how it fares.  This is my eye with all the makeup gunk:  eyeshadow primer, eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara



And this is after using the Wet n Wild eye makeup remover:


I put the damp cotton on my eye closed and let it stay there for 10-15 seconds.  It didn't do anything much so I had to gently swipe the makeup off my lids.  It was able to get rid of my eyeshadow.   I tried removing my mascara by dabbing and brushing my lashes on the cotton, but it wasn't too successful. 

I can say that yes, despite the extra effort to remove my makeup (swiping instead of just letting the damp cotton soften my eye makeup and eventually remove it with just little or no swiping), I can say that this is product is good.  It's just that it doesn't really work as it promised.  I am pretty much okay with that because I can always say that probably I just wear too much waterproof makeup, if not only for the burning and stinging sensation I've experienced from using this!  Yes, the burning was so bad I had to wash immediately.

After two days, I decided to give it another try. Same thing.  And yes, I wanted to kick myself so hard because why did I let myself go thru that burning feeling again. After washing, I checked on my eyes and saw a bit of swelling on the lids.  My eyes were still stinging so I had to wash again and do cold compress. And then I decided to check online to see if somebody else has experienced what I went thru.  

And whoa, most people did!  I googled some more and found out that this product has been recalled in Canada last 2009 because of high bacteria levels. See article here.

Probably they changed the formulation or whatever, that's why it's still being sold here.  But I don't care anymore.  I just knew I had to stop using it, unless I want to go blind or I want my skin to burn.  Good thing I didn't get it in my eyes.  Geesh, I can't imagine.

So, yes I AM NOT recommending this.  And next time, I will research first before buying anything.  Sure this costs cheap...but if it will cost me my eyes, NEVERMIND.

Let me know if you've encountered the same thing.  I'll continue looking for articles about this product later, and check if they indeed changed the formulation or they still continued to sell it despite the recall.  

Oh well, some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

Please like me on Facebook ( IambrigittePage ) and follow me on Twitter (Iamsutil) and Instagram (Iambrigitte)

9 comments:

Jannie said...

OMG! I was about to but this online because it only cost P120 instead of the usual P450 I pay for my NYX makeup remover but after reading your product review, I'm glad I didn't. Thank you for posting this review Ate! <3

kumiko mae said...

aww wow nice new layout and im so sorry to hear about your experience on that product! i realy would recommend you stop using that and throw it out because your eyes are much too delicate for you to use anything less than perfect

Andy said...

Oh my gosh, that's horrible! Good thing you did not get infections or such. I am staying with my Etude House Lip and Eye Makeup Remover~

Gellie Abogado said...

At first look I thought it was a perfume of some sort.

It's so inexpensive and I might have bought this if I see it. Though it's not a good thing that you had to go through the stinging sensation plus swelling just by trying out this product, I want to thank you for sharing this news to everyone.

Definitely not getting this.

Animetric said...

Scary naman yan. They should not sell recalled products here! Irresponsible din yun distributor. I've always had my doubts with this brand kasi binebenta sa 99 cents store sa States. XD

Iambrigitte said...

thanks mga sis, if it's not too much to ask kindly inform your friends too about this. until now im trying to look for articles if they have "reformulated" this after the recall or talagang binenta pa din dito kahit recalled na years ago pa. it's really scary. I bought it last week thinking i couldshare something affordable to my readers...ayan akala ko mabubulag ako. waah

Chrissy said...

Nakakatakot naman ang experience mo..buti nalang you found out the truth about the product!! Scary if they're still selling it without reformulating..nako...

Anyway, just wanted to say great layout sis! :)

raych said...

thanks for the informative post! oh gosh. wanted to try it to but thank God you posted this <3 Hope you're okay now :)

ValerieDeoferio said...

Thank you for the review! I'm so glad to have read this as I am trying to find something cheaper than the Loreal one that I'm using which I am satisfied of completely as it doesn't sting my eyes or anything ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...