Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My second take on OCC Lip Tars...

Lip tars aren't new to me as I remember buying my first lip tars 2 years ago.  I got Hush and another shade that I already forgot. (Ugh, sign of old age LOL!)

I was excited when I got them but after a few uses, I lost interest and gave them away. I'll tell you why later!

This time around, I got my 2nd set of lip tars from Digitaltraincase:

OCC Lip Tars in Hush, Memento and Strumpet

So what exactly is a lip tar?
As per the OCC website, a lip tar combines the longevity of a lipstick with the ease of application of a gloss.   Hmmm, I would have to disagree with "ease of application of a gloss" as lip tars are not as easy to use like lip gloss. 

Why?  Later.
 (laughs)

Anyway, here are the swatches:

Hush - Memento - Stalker

As you can see these lip tars are so pigmented.  You HAVE to remember that a little goes a long, long way. 

Hush
(Pale, Bridal Pink)

On me, it's a peachy, nude shade that's great to pair with smokey eyes. 


Memento
(Midtone Pink Plum)


On my lips, it looks like Hush but a bit more pigmented. I think this would be a great base for bridal lips


Stalker
(True Blue-based Red)

Surprisingly my fave among the three.  It's the kind of red that brightens up your face. It's the classic red for that sexy red lips.

(Excuse my dry lips, I've applied a lip balm prior to applying the lip tars but I was sick at the time these photos were taken...and my lips tend to crack when I'm sick. Disgusting, I know!)
 
So earlier I mentioned that after a few uses of my first lip tars, I just gave up on them and lost interest. Why?  First, the packaging.  If you got your lip tars in the past, more likely what you got are those in the old packaging.


 Old packaging - New packaging




So what did I hate about the old packaging?
Well, it was just so annoying that it leaks like crazy.  Whenever I would twist it open, there would be a lot of product on the cap and no matter how hard I try not to squeeze the tube too much, the product just seems to find a way to come out of it. 



Another thing I hate on the packaging, with the slanted tip, a lot of people would think they are meant to be applied straight from the tube.  It is not!  Again, you only need a tiny bead for an entire lip.  Of course, a bit more if you have bigger lips. (laughs)  But yes, unlike some lip glosses,  lip tars aren't meant to be used directly from the tube.

A lip brush IS A MUST!
(Say hi to my Charm lip brush!)



You just need a little amount of product, like that much (above photo) for an entire lip.  Start with a thin layer and apply another layer to deepen the color.

It's also important that you exfoliate and moisturize your lips before applying the lip tar as it tends to sink into the lines and highlight your dry lips.  What I do is I apply lip balm before I start applying my makeup so when it's time for my lip color (which is usually after 30mins or more), my lips will be soft and really moisturized.

And again, avoid using too much or it will just feather or bleed outside your lip line...which is not in any way attractive. On my first few attempts to wear my old lip tars, I applied them straight from the tube.  I was just so used to dabbing some product on my lips and then using my fingers to blend, so when I got my lip tars, I applied them exactly the same way I would apply my lipsticks.  (Okay, I'm stupid like that. LOL!)  By the way, you can also use a lip liner of the same shade to keep your lip color from feathering.
 
 Applying lip tars require patience, as you really have to make sure you deposit the pigment on your lips using a brush and making sure it's evenly applied. It does take more time than when you're applying your usual lipstick but once you've mastered the application, you can rest assured that your lip color will stay for hours.  I applied Stalker in the morning and it was still on even after I had my lunch. 
 
There's a lot of shades available, there's green, orange and even black.  These babies can be mixed to come up with a whole new shade, or you can also use one shade to lighten or darken another shade.  I sometimes mix my Hush or Memento with Stalker if I don't want it too red.  So yes, you can experiment and play with the colors.
 
It feels light on the lips that sometimes, I would check myself on the mirror and see if I still have color on my lips.  It's creamy, very opaque and dries to satiny finish.  If I am not sick, my lips look and feel moisturized with this on.  Also, these lip tars have Hemp Oil, Peppermint Oil and Vitamin E.  It tastes and smells like mint, which I love!  And lastly, these are 100% Vegan!

These lip tars are available at Digitaltraincase for Php800/10ml. 
 
A good investment, I must say because you don't really need to buy a lot of lipstick shades, it's also good for those who hates re-applying their lipstick (good to use on makeup clients, too!) and lastly, a tube would last me a looong time.

4 comments:

Issa said...

these are really pigmented!

Camille Santos said...

im a fan of occ liptars as well.

G said...

this is awesome... now i want one too :/

i think i like their new packaging :D

The Beauty Junkee said...

Packaging has improved so much. Might consider giving this a try again. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...